Full Fuel Foods
Updated: Aug 26, 2021
- Rob Deneau
The key to success in living a well-rounded, high quality of life is the fuel we feed our bodies. Often it's the most neglected part of our busy days when getting through each of our experiences.
Often we have to take a look at the amount of nutrients our body craves to be able to operate at our personal best.
Here are a list of foods that should definitely be considered a priority in your grocery cart when considering to "eat clean":
- Dark Leafy Greens (Kale, Swiss Chard, Collard Greens, Spinach); loaded with fiber and vitamins, which may be important in helping prevent certain chronic diseases
- Berries (Raspberry, Blueberries, Cranberries); full of anti-oxidants and vitamins, which may prevent certain diseases and improve digestion
- Eggs (Chicken, Quail, Duck); are rich in high quality protein, and select anti-oxidants, and can increase HDL cholesterol which can lead to a favourable reduction in heart disease risks
- Nuts and Seeds (Almonds, Peanuts, Sunflower and Pumpkin Seeds) are packing fiber and heart-healthy fat; They may reduce your risk of heart disease and can support weight loss
- Garlic is a rich food used for its medicinal benefits for centuries worldwide; It may be useful for supporting immune function and reducing your risk of heart disease and certain cancers
- Kefir is a fermented dairy beverage with health benefits related to its probiotic contents; and though generally made from cow’s milk, kefir is also available in non-dairy forms
- Ginger is used for its flavor and potential medicinal effects; it may be useful in treating nausea, pain and preventing certain chronic diseases
- Turmeric is associated with several medicinal effects; turmeric is not easily absorbed and should be paired with substances that enhance its absorption, such as black peppercorns
- Salmon is a good source of nutrients, especially omega-3 fatty acids; however you should limit your consumption of salmon to avoid potential negative effects from contaminants common in fish and seafood
- Sweet Potatoes are a highly nutritious food loaded with strong antioxidant properties and they may also be beneficial for blood sugar control
- Mushrooms are full of nutrients and may reduce your risk of certain diseases; and mushrooms are a sustainable food choice
- Seaweed is a group of highly nutritious sea vegetables that may play a role in protecting against certain chronic diseases
- Legumes are rich in many vitamins, protein and fiber; as well as they may prevent some chronic diseases and support weight loss
Keep in mind, lots of foods in our daily lives serve a purpose. This list is just a sample compiled from numerous articles you can find on "eating clean"; "superfoods"; and making healthy food choices. There are thousands of articles on nutrition and wellness, and you have to decide what you feel is right for you.
To truly reach "Peak Health" through Food and Nutrition; it's more than just focusing on a few of the food trends, or a specific diet (unless recommended by a Dietician). It's about finding balance through a variety of dense foods packed full of nutrition daily.
Best Personal Advice: try a little of everything, see what your body responds to, and perhaps what your body should avoid; and never be afraid to ask questions to learn more. The more you explore, the more you will learn.
"Scientia Per Usum" - "Knowledge Through Experience"
Seeking further advice (meal planning, diets): we leave it to the experts. A dietician can help further answer questions.